Wednesday, August 6, 2014

It's Not All For The Donuts and Coffee



I began doing research for an article on our National Night Out program when I came across some “random acts of kindness”. I was talking with a civilian who explained to me all the inner workings and history of the National Night Out program. After I had all the pertinent information, I asked if she had any photos she could share. She told me she did and that they each had a story behind them. So of course, I became sidetracked and wanted to know more. She shared with me the photos above and this is the story. 

The community group is known as JL Young. It is an apartment complex that is run by Tampa Housing Authority and houses primarily elderly and disabled residents on fixed incomes. Their community watch group is very active but limited in funding due to their circumstances. On one occasion, two Tampa Police Officers (Katie Thanasas and Neil Pelletier) attended one of their meetings. Most groups have snacks and refreshments as part of their regular meetings; however, the officers quickly realized this group did not have the funding to purchase refreshments. The residents were still very excited the two officers showed up and supported their mission to make the place they live a safer and happier community. In the middle of the meeting, Officer Thanasas quietly left, while Officer Pelletier assured the group that she would be returning. A short while later, Officer Thanasas returned with enough pizzas to feed the entire group and their guests. The two young officers used their own money to purchase the pizzas. The JL Young residents didn't even realize the officers had done this.


Most people think that you become a police officer because you like donuts and coffee. Well okay, maybe more so for the donuts! But the truth is, these two officers demonstrated the reason that most people go into law enforcement. People enter the profession of policing because they have an intrinsic desire to help others make the world around them a better place. Sometimes they do this by catching the criminal and sometimes they do it by random acts of kindness and giving.  They don't do it for recognition, they don't do it for prestige, they do it because they care! These two young officers saw a need and filled it. They weren't seeking an award or a commendation or even a “thank you”,  they just had a commitment to service and wanted to help the community they live in.   These types of things happen all the time but are seldom reported. When I am lucky enough to hear of the selflessness of others and especially of my peers and co-workers, it reminds me why I am proud to put on this uniform everyday. Thank you Officer Thanasas and Officer Pelletier for reminding me why I became a Tampa Police Officer!

Blog Contributor: Officer Robin Polk

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. But, I've known or a long time that TPD is great and generous, too.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive